ACTIVITIES & INITIATIVES
(1994 to present)
Appointment as international Construction Ambassador
- In June 2011, I was appointed as an international Construction Ambassador by the Chartered Institute of Building.
- The role of Construction Ambassador is to represent the Institute, help develop policy and influence objectives for the benefit of the public.
- Read my latest Construction Ambassador Report here
National & Regional Chairing Responsibilities
- In April 1998 I was elected Vice-Chairman of the Leeds and West Yorkshire Centre of the Chartered Institute of Building. I was also elected onto a national committee dealing with equal opportunities issues in construction.
- In April 2001 I was elected Chair of the Yorkshire Branch and to the national council of the Chartered Institute of Building.
- I served on the National Council of the Chartered Institute of Building and also served as a member of the Member Services and Education and Professional Practices Boards.
- In 1998, I was elected onto a national committee in the Chartered Institute of Building dealing with equal opportunities issues in construction and served for one year.
- I have been involved in examining candidates for Corporate Membership of the CIOB and was a member of the Professional Interviewing Panel in the Yorkshire Region (1997-2008).
- Since 2008, I have been involved with CIOB Malaysia activities and have been a member of the professional interviewing panel.
Organisation of Education & Continuing Professional Development (CPD) Activities
- In 2000 I was invited to direct and Chair Construction Expo 2000, the first national conference and exhibition organised by the Chartered Institute of Building.
- I was Chairman of the committee on Continuing Professional Development in Yorkshire (CPD Yorkshire) which aimed to co-ordinate CPD across the various construction professions (since 1996). I assisted in the organisation of the Yorkshire Construction Week in 1997, 1998 and 1999.
- Between 1998 to 2008 I was a member of the CIOB Yorkshire Branch College Liaison committee. I served as a member of the Yorkshire Regional Branch committee for seven years.
- I have been involved in organising many CPD events for the Chartered Institute of Building and the Chartered Institute of Marketing Construction Industry Group (CIMCIG). A number of these were held in the School of Civil Engineering, University of Leeds and in other institutions. In 1996, I was involved in the organisation of the John Laing and Shepherd lectures which were held at the University of Leeds and attracted much interest from the local industry.
Other Professional Related Activities
- I was a member of the Yorkshire and Humberside Construction Careers Group 1998 to 2008. This organisation aimed to raise awareness of career opportunities in the construction industry and assist graduates in finding placements at all levels.
- I was a founding director of “Concourse” in Leeds from 1996 to 2008 representing the School of Civil Engineering, University of Leeds and the CIOB. This organisation aimed to develop a dedicated centre for education and practice in art, architecture, construction, planning and urban design.