PROFESSOR DR. CHRISTOPHER NIGEL PREECE
B.Sc.(Hons), PhD FCIOB, MCIM, FHEA
Prof Preece was for 14 years at the University of Leeds, UK. His specialist research field is in the area of business and project management in the construction and engineering sectors. He is a recognized authority in international business development and marketing and an author of more than 150 books and papers at an international level. (For full details of current publications see researchgate and academia.edu)
Professor Dr Chris Preece was a faculty member of the Department of Engineering, RAZAK School of Engineering & Advanced Technology, Universiti Teknology Malaysia (UTM). From 2008 to 2010 he was with the Department of Quantity Surveying, International Islamic University Malaysia (IIUM).
From 2013 to 2015 he was Director of UTM International, and Head of the International Construction Business Management Research Group, part of the Construction Research Alliance at UTM. In addition, he was an associate member of the SUSTiP (Sustainable STI policy solutions for Industry, Government & Society) Research Group at UTM.
- Member of the Innovation and Research Committee of the Chartered Institute of Building (CIOB) in the UK (May 2016 – present)
- Joint founder and editor of the Journal of Quantity Surveying and Construction Business.
- An international Construction Ambassador for the Chartered Institute of Building (2011 – present)
- Joint founder and co-ordinator of CIB Task Group 082 Marketing in Construction (2011-2015)
- Founding co-director of the Water@UTM research initiative at the Universiti Teknologi Malaysia (2010-2013).
- Chairman of the Management in Construction Research Association (MiCRA 2012).
In 2012 Professor Preece was Invited by the Ministry of Higher Education (MOHE), Malaysia to contribute to a national research project evaluating the impact of the strategic plan for higher education (PSPTN Phase 1 Malaysian Higher Education Stakeholders).
In January 2012, Professor Preece was invited to serve on the European Union – Malaysian Chamber of Commerce “Environment, Energy and Green technology (EEGT) Committee, representing the Universiti Teknologi Malaysia.
In January 2013, Professor Preece was invited to serve on the Building Information Modelling Sub-committee of the Royal Institute of Surveyors Malaysia.
In 2014 he was engaged as an advisor to the Construction Industry Development Board Malaysia on Building Information Modeling (BIM) implementation
Research interests include;
- the impact of an ageing population on the adaptability of the built environment,
- developing a CSR and sustainability effectiveness index for construction and engineering firms,
- developing sustainability services and marketing of engineering and construction consultancies,
- more environmental construction waste management practices on construction sites,
- sustainable asset management in the water sector.
Other projects concerning the economics and commercial aspects of construction and engineering include doctoral research topics;
- Understanding stakeholder value conflicts and impact of the effectiveness of value management in construction.
- The integration of client relationship management (CRM) and building information modelling (BIM).
- Examining the impact of organisational culture on quality performance of contractors.